Tuesday, August 28, 2007

ECM : The label that keeps on tickin'

I spent the night last night listening to some of my old vinyl with one of my sons.
I am inevitably drawn to the seventies music of the ECM label. Manfred Eicher was a genius about identifying amazing musicianship in its infancy. He gave a working recording platform to many different astounding musicians and had the ear to record them in multiple and varied combinations. His work with Eberhard Weber; Ralph Towner: Miroslav Vitous; Steve Kuhn; Jack DeJohnette;Dave Holland; Jan Gabarek; John Surman and others is still a joy to my ears and some of the most creative music to this day. I tip my hat off to him for the wealth of music he has allowed us to have the pleasure to experience and share with the next generation.

No comments: